30th September 2015
As we descend into chilly autumnal evenings, nothing is better than coming home to a big bowl of hearty beef stew. Porter is a wonderful ingredient to use in stews, as it adds a gorgeous depth of flavour that really marries in well with beef. It also adds a sweetness that isn’t overpowering and there is no better porter to use than Andwell Brewing Co; rich and dark with notes of vanilla and coffee it makes the gravy absolutely lipsmacking.
Stew cannot be rushed. You need at least three hours. But what a wonderful way to spend a rainy Saturday afternoon. It also keeps well for 3 days in the fridge and freezes well.
2 brown onions, diced
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
250g mushrooms, sliced
4 carrots, diced
500g stewing beef, cut into chunks
bottle of Andwell Porter
300ml chicken stock
sprig rosemary, chopped
salt and pepper to season
1. Splash some olive oil into a pan and add the onions and garlic. Sweat down for about 5 minutes and turn off the heat.
2. In a separate frying pan, sauté the carrots and mushrooms for about 5 minutes, until the mushrooms are cooked through. Take off the heat and set aside.
3. Add the diced beef to the pot you cooked the onions in and add a splash of olive oil. Brown the meat to seal in the juices. When the meat is coloured add about 1/3 bottle of the Andwell Porter. Season well with salt and pepper.
4. Stir through and add 150ml of chicken stock to add more depth of flavour. Reduce the mixture by about half.
5. Add the vegetables you’ve set aside to the beef and another 1/3 of a bottle of the Porter and another 150ml of chicken stock. Sprinkle in the rosemary and stir thoroughly.
6. Preheat the oven 130°C.
7. Reduce again by about half and then place in the oven and cook for three or so hours. The meat needs to break down and become tender, so time is key here.
8. Serve with potato mash or dumplings.
THE GIN GUIDE AWARDS 2019 - FINALISTS Following an intensive period of tasting and judging by 10 expert judges, The Gin Guide Awards 2019 list of finalists has been announced. We are delighted that Manly Spirits Australian Dry Gin received high enough scores across...read more
In March, GQ published its guide to the best gins to make the perfect gin and tonic. We are delighted that out of the many thousands of gins they could choose, the featured Manly Spirits Coastal Citrus gin. They even took it one step further recommending that is...read more
This month Bar Magazinereported on the rise of Soft Drink sales in the on-traded which is being led by 'a growth in craft spirits' as well as a 'push from consumers towards more non-alcoholic serves'. Bar Magazine reported on how our tonic brand Lixir Tonic are are...read more
Our tonic brand Lixir Tonic was included in the influential speciality drinks website The Drinks Business’ ‘Top New Products: February 2019’ with background to how Lixir became a business and information on the full range. Lixir was the only tonic water included in...read more
Last week, just in time for Australia Day 2019 Boutique Bar Brands announced the launch of Manly Spirits in the UK with an evening of spirits tastings, cocktails and a giant inflatable Clown Fish! After many months of planning and patiently waiting for bottles to make...read more