30th September 2015
As we descend into chilly autumnal evenings, nothing is better than coming home to a big bowl of hearty beef stew. Porter is a wonderful ingredient to use in stews, as it adds a gorgeous depth of flavour that really marries in well with beef. It also adds a sweetness that isn’t overpowering and there is no better porter to use than Andwell Brewing Co; rich and dark with notes of vanilla and coffee it makes the gravy absolutely lipsmacking.
Stew cannot be rushed. You need at least three hours. But what a wonderful way to spend a rainy Saturday afternoon. It also keeps well for 3 days in the fridge and freezes well.
2 brown onions, diced
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
250g mushrooms, sliced
4 carrots, diced
500g stewing beef, cut into chunks
bottle of Andwell Porter
300ml chicken stock
sprig rosemary, chopped
salt and pepper to season
1. Splash some olive oil into a pan and add the onions and garlic. Sweat down for about 5 minutes and turn off the heat.
2. In a separate frying pan, sauté the carrots and mushrooms for about 5 minutes, until the mushrooms are cooked through. Take off the heat and set aside.
3. Add the diced beef to the pot you cooked the onions in and add a splash of olive oil. Brown the meat to seal in the juices. When the meat is coloured add about 1/3 bottle of the Andwell Porter. Season well with salt and pepper.
4. Stir through and add 150ml of chicken stock to add more depth of flavour. Reduce the mixture by about half.
5. Add the vegetables you’ve set aside to the beef and another 1/3 of a bottle of the Porter and another 150ml of chicken stock. Sprinkle in the rosemary and stir thoroughly.
6. Preheat the oven 130°C.
7. Reduce again by about half and then place in the oven and cook for three or so hours. The meat needs to break down and become tender, so time is key here.
8. Serve with potato mash or dumplings.
Cocktail Bartenders! Here’s your chance to win a trip to Rome and celebrate all things Tiki. Tiki By the Sea is a three-day bartender focused educational and cultural experience which will be based in a private seaside villa outside of Rome, running from...read more
Dingle Gin will be Gin of the month at Graphic Bar Graphic Bar, one of London’s most famous gin bars located in the heart of Soho, has chosen Dingle Original Gin to be its April Gin of the Month. Graphic has one of the finest collections of gin in the...read more
This St. Patricks Day was a huge success for Porterhouse Brewing and Dingle Distillery. We here at BBB would like to say a huge thank you to everyone we worked with to bring the best of Irish craft beers and Spirits to the masses. Dingle Gin proved to be...read more